Monday, May 25, 2015

Memorial Day Thoughts: "Earn This”?


post-36423-earn-this-gif-earn-it-Tom-Hank-nFkP


“Earn This.” It is one of the most moving and motivating lines from Saving Private Ryan. If you have not seen this film, there are some major spoilers coming. If the R-Rating turned you away before, it is now available on VidAngel and you choose what material to edit.


As we celebrate Memorial Day we this of those who made the Ultimate Sacrifice to defend freedom and protect those they loved and served with.

At the end of of the film Private Ryan (Matt Damon) is looking over all that was sacrificed to allow him to go home. Looks down to a mortally wounded Captain Miller (Tom Hanks) who whispers to him, "Earn this."

It always makes pause. What am I doing to honor the sacrifice made by so many? Do I vote in elections, even local? Do I protect others from tyranny? Do I serve others in my community? Does my life measure as one who have given more than he has received?

What have you done?

When Ryan returns to the grave of Captain Miller, his words echo the prayer of each of us this Memorial Day. "I've tried to live my life the best I could. I hope that was enough. I hope that at least in your eyes, I've earned what all of you have done for me."


Saving Private Ryan is a great film. I highly recommended it to anyone who want to have a greater love of their country or bond in brotherhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts